Saturday, October 12, 2013

Shirts & Pringles

For the second time this school year I had a shirt incident.
The day of new student orientation, I arrived at school in my crisp white shirt with tie ready to tackle a new school year. Immediately upon arriving at a teacher meeting that morning, Mr. S. asked: "What happened to your shirt? You spill coffee on it?"

I looked down at my right side and saw a huge light brown stain from the collar to and around the underarm area. I'd completely forgotten during the long summer break to attempt to remove this stain that appeared out of nowhere one day last spring after the shirt had sat too long in a laundry bag. I had quickly hung the shirt back up in my closet until this new fateful morning.

Luckily, I keep an old brown wool coat at school--a remnant from one of my first neighbors in New York, c. 2006. It smells a bit and usually sits around isolated in various closets but it definitely served its purpose for the orientation. I was sweating the whole time, though, in that summer evening.

This past Monday I arrived at school ready to tackle a new school week. Refreshed, rejuvenated. I soon realized upon my arrival that my habit of getting dressed in dark places in my bedroom had come back to haunt me. Whereas I thought I'd put on a conventional white undershirt, instead I had put on a shirt from this year's Scotland Run 10k race. Through my light grey shirt one could clearly see a blue image of the Manhattan skyline on the shirt's front and a loud pronouncement of the race name and a list of sponsors on the shirt's back.

After conferring with Mr. Reid and a student, Lissamarie, I realized there was no concealing this fact and went back to the closet to retrieve my smelly brown coat.
This was another hot, humid day, mind you, and I spent it sweating out whatever toxins may have been in my skin. So that was a plus.

In other news, Mr. Weber had a funny anecdote of a student a few days ago who was eating Pringles in class. When Mr. W. reminded him that food is not allowed in our classrooms--a rule we are enforcing this year--the male student proceeded to stuff the bulky Pringles container down the front of his pants.
Interesting how students react to rules in different ways...

No comments:

Post a Comment