Thursday, September 26, 2013

Train's in Motion Now...

3 weeks already (almost). Wow. Living within the school each day--and it is a second home--I definitely feel the train in motion now. Countless anecdotes from all around the staff and students are soon to come in this forum, but for now here are a couple...

~Mr. Berk, a veteran teacher new to our school, was in amazement yesterday while doing his attendance. He was "shocked" at how every single student was in one of his classes earlier that morning. I had the same reaction this time last year. For both of us, we'd previously been in a place where it was not uncommon to have less than 50% attendance in a given class.
Now we are in a place where 90% would be a low number.

~I walked into the evolving "Student Support" room in our school a few hours ago. Not sure yet what that room will be for, but the Intervention Team seems to be utilizing it (I also had to cart out all my stuff from last year, after I'd transformed part of a back room there into my own little storage space.)
On a white board in the corner I noticed something freshly written about a student's misbehavior post-intervention: "A.P.--'had promised not to put his hands on others.'"

Funny how such a little comment can be funny at the end of a work day but nowhere near funny when one is in the middle of a classroom and a student is chasing another around with a broom (heard that story yesterday) or when said A.P. student was observed by myself today holding a pencil up as though he was going to stab his friend with it. [Thankfully, A.P. is mischievous but not truly violent.]

No comments:

Post a Comment