Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Student Anecdotes

A few things overheard or seen in the past few days...

1. Enroute to school yesterday morning, I passed two elementary school students. I overheard one telling the other in a very serious manner: "Even if I was dying, I'd still have to go to school."

2. Yesterday was my colleague Mr. Berk's birthday. He did not want people to know this. Everyone found out. He walked through my class to grab a folder and a student immediately began singing "happy birthday." I stopped her as we were all in our Unison Reading groups. I wanted all students to remain on task within their groups.
I told her: "Let's stay in Unison," meaning in the groups.
Instead, she then led the entire class in singing "happy birthday--" in complete and perfect unison.

3. An endearing thing: I checked my mailbox for work turned in this past Friday. We were out of the required checklists that day, which students staple to work that is handed in. Two Bengali girls, Naz. and Sum., had taken it upon themselves to create very nicely handwritten checklists in lieu of the printed ones. They modeled it after the ones we usually have available.
I told them later that I appreciated the extra effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment