Tuesday, October 2, 2012

No More Passing Out of Papers

That's what the principal just told me.
Students should take responsibility for getting handouts themselves.
Course outcomes will be posted on the walls, written on open folders which will also contain pertinent handouts.

"I feel like I spent 10% of my teaching passing out and collecting papers," Principal N. said.
She is very concerned about students and teachers not wasting time.

Another element which sets our school apart.

I was disoriented upon entering the principal's office for our meeting.
Before me was a conventional large wooden desk with desktop computer and stacks of important papers. Beside me were windows looking into a barren space. And there sat Principal N.

"Oh. I thought that (pointing to the conventionally large desk) was the secretary's and your office was in here," I said, entering the barren space.

"It is," she responded.

All that is contained in her office is a small round table, a laptop computer, a two drawer filing cabinet, & a clipboard in the window.
No pictures. No stacks of papers. No books. No desk.

The principal doesn't want to be comfortable in her office. She wants to be in the halls, in the classrooms, talking with students and teachers.

This is an interesting place indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment